Leila and her team did an excellent job with our kitchen remodel. We love how open our kitchen is now and the remodel has transformed our house from 1978 to modern. We wanted to use as many green products as possible in our kitchen and Leila was able to help us achieve that goal while staying within our budget.
Melissa L., Lafayette
Go Green With Your Kitchen or Bath
Considering incorporating “green” elements into your project? Green design can include using sustainable products, environmentally friendly design techniques, and taking steps to reduce energy usage.
Explore Green Design Options and Benefits
Conserve | Renew | Improve
Regardless of your style preferences, Douglah Designs offers a growing range of innovative and attractive sustainable and recycled product choices to incorporate into your home. More than just a trend or concept with few product choices, sustainable design does not yield a limitation on the possibilities of your interior design or remodel.
Some of our favorite environmentally friendly products that we use on our projects include:
- EcoTimber sustainable bamboo flooring
- FSC-certified wood Neil Kelly cabinets
- Crushed recycled glass countertops such as Vetrazzo and Ice Stone
Using green products and building materials is a good way to ensure clean air quality in your home, such as materials containing solvent-free adhesives, paints and varnishes made without formaldehyde-based glues, and products that do not emit harmful volatile organic compounds (zero-VOC). Paint companies like Benjamin Moore and Kelly Moore offer zero-VOC interior paint options, and Yolo Color House specializes in non-toxic paint.
Kitchens and baths are typically the biggest energy users in a home. We encourage you to consider incorporating energy saving practices into your project:
- Sealing air leaks with weather stripping
- Adding insulation in the walls and ceiling
- Insulating water pipes
- Incorporating passive solar design where possible
- Installing double glazed/low-E windows
- Upgrading to high efficiency kitchen appliances and light fixtures
- Consider a tankless water heater and other efficient plumbing